Sunday, February 7, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Every other weekend, I bring Holy Communion to residents in a retirement/assisted living home and a nursing home. Today was one of the toughest days I've experienced. An old friend is nearing the end. For months, he's told me that he's ready to go when the good Lord is ready for him. He's been in pain and wants the comforting arms of God around him. This morning, he told one of the staff members that he was leaving soon. When she asked him where he was going, he said he hoped he was going to heaven. He's been told that he's leaving soon. Perhaps someone who's been on the journey before is trying to prepare him.

And, even though I know my friend is coming to a real peace about his situation, it is still hard. I've enjoyed visiting him. And although I know our time between here and there is relatively short, it's still painful to see loved ones go. When I waved goodbye to him this morning, I wondered if it was the last time I would see him. I continue to pray for his peace and comfort as well as for his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment