Monday, May 17, 2010

On Being Grateful

Last week, I discussed how tough this adoption process can be. It can be painful when you're presented to birth parents but not matched to them. Of course, that is a normal part of the journey, especially when there are so many families who long to adopt. According to one of our agency social workers, the average wait is two years.

The adoption journey is not all sunshine and roses and, although I consider myself an optimistic person, there will be times when this journey will bring me down. And yes, I will blog about that.

In the past, I've had acquaintances question why it's so hard to adopt, as if matches should happen overnight. I've had to educate them about the process. The birth parents choose the adoptive parents for their children and that's how it should be. It's an incredibly difficult decision based on what they think is best for their children. Can you imagine loving your child so much that you consider placing them with someone else?

Adoptive parents don't pick and choose. This is not a cabbage patch fairy land. You can't just stop by an orphanage, pick out a child and bring him or her home the same day.

During our adoption journey, I hope you will never equate my complaining with being ungrateful or not acknowledging our blessings. I thank God everyday that we were able to adopt Jack. I love him very much. And I would love to adopt another child. I cannot deny this longing in my heart. I love being a parent.

Someday God will fill us with peace and our family will be complete, but only He knows that time. I need to place my trust in Him.


"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

-Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment